Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Life of Reily - The Deneen Family Pioneers

Father (background) and Son
It's a real thrill finding these old cemeteries when I geocache. There always seems to be a history lesson waiting to be uncovered. On a beautiful March day in 2012 I found a marker at Bunker Hill Pioneer Cemetery in Reily Township OH that caught my attention.
It was for Samuel Deneen, a Private in the War of 1812. I noticed that his father James Deneen, who fought in the Revolutionary War as a Private (Hunterdon Co NJ Militia), and several other Deneen's were nearby.

I wasn't able to find much more about younger Pvt Deneen's unit, Samuel Ashton's Co. of Ohio Militia but I did find an online roster. It confirms Sam Deneen served from February - August 1814. He is listed along with his brother Corp. Elijah Deneen (also buried here) and Private John M. Deneen another brother.
I also attempted to cross-reference their service with known War of 1812 battles but I wasn't able to come up with anything solid. By 1814 most of the American Northwest land battles were occurring around Lake Erie on the Canadian side. Based on what I've seen they didn't keep or retain good militia service records from this period. These Deneens all survived the war and ended up here to start new lives in Reily Township.

This property was once all owned by the Deneen Family who I found were Huguenots that first fled religious persecution in France in the late 17th century. They later settled in Northern Ireland, eventually emigrating to the US in the early 18th century. They were one of the first pioneer families to settle in Butler County OH, The area around the cemetery is now Pater Wildlife Area.
In further research of the Deneen Family, I found some other interesting but tragic history unrelated to their military service. Samuel had another brother named Alexander who also lived on this land. In 1826 while building a house he threw a wood plank out of the 2nd story which accidentally landed on their 2-year-old daughter Mary and killed her instantly. Alexander became so distraught he never finished the house and eventually moved, selling the one-acre cemetery to the local Universalist Church. Mary, along with Alexander are buried in nearby Springdale Cemetery.

sources: 
-James Deneen at Waymarking.com
-Deneen Family Document at Ancestry.com
-Ohio Genealogy Express
-FindAGrave.com
-Butler County MetroParks

7 comments:

  1. Great article! I’m a very distant relative and I got into the history today. I assumed they were French but could only find that they were from Ireland. Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am Matthew Deneen son of james deneen descendant of Joseph and Amy bishop. I live in elizabethtown kentucky

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for reading! Anything to add or correct?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am Matthew D. Deneen dependent of Joseph Deneen Samuel's brother. I live in Elizabethtown Kentucky

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have an antique frame with a picture of a Dayton, Ohio couple. Mr& Mrs
    DENEEN. Not sure if it's relation or not? Holly Taylor

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the post I eas able to visit the cemetary today. I am a dependent of Samuel's brother Joseph Deneen. We are also a distant cousin to Charles S. Deneen. My name and title is State Senator Matthew D. Deneen I live in Elizabethtown Kentucky and have done extensive genealogy research on our family. My email is matthew.deneen33@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete