Thursday, August 28, 2014

Exploring Almost Forgotten Gravesites in Ohio

Cemeteries are a big part of history and I find myself in them frequently while geocaching.
You can learn much from reading the stones from at various eras in American history and get a good idea of what people thought was important to remember. It's also interesting to see trends such as different types of materials and styles of gravestones.
Sometimes I just stop at those little roadside cemeteries and have a look around. Many times places such as this are literally falling apart and quite neglected since ownership is in dispute. Sadly, sometimes it is due to vandalism.
Please have a look at a fine website dedicated to cemetery preservation in the state of Ohio by Linda Jean Limes Ellis.

http://www.limesstones.blogspot.com/

2 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for your post about my blog "Exploring Almost Forgotten Gravesites in Ohio"! I am thoroughly enjoying reading through all of your blog posts in "GeOhio". Your cemetery-related posts are most fascinating and educational.

    Your blog is on my list of recommended reading for anyone interested in Ohio Valley history including that of cemeteries and their histories!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Linda. I have quite a few pics, observations and research I've made about another dozen graves and cemeteries that I haven't worked into any posts yet. I will like be trickling them out and posting them soon as mini blog posts. Things like background info on the veteran whose gravestone caught my eye. I've also fixed some more of my tags so clicking on "cemetery" should bring back more relevant posts I've made

    ReplyDelete